An update from Urban Green Newcastle on access to our parks and allotments
Our wonderful parks and allotments have provided a place of respite and relaxation over the past few difficult months. And they will continue to do so, as once more we face increased restrictions due to COVID-19. Thank you so much for your patience and consideration in following the rules, as we work together to fight this pandemic and keep everyone safe.
You will all have seen the announcements from Government that, very sadly, increased national restrictions are now in place. Furthermore, the North East of England, including Newcastle, has been identified as an area with increasing levels of COVID-19, leading to additional local restrictions to combat the spread of infection.
Urban Green staff and volunteers have been working hard to ensure our green spaces remain open and safe to use. However, it is more important than ever that we use them in a way which will keep ourselves and others safe. Please maintain social distancing, wash hands regularly, and follow the guidelines we have put in place. In particular:
- Many of our facilities, including Pets Corner and toilets, are open but with restrictions to help keep everyone safe. Thank you for your support in complying with these additional measures.
- Each of our play areas has been assessed, and guidance is in place at each location to advise on maximum numbers and safe use of our sites. Please be aware that equipment is not being sanitised, so pay extra attention to washing hands before and after use.
- Sports courts and pitches remain open, but should only be used by single-household groups (or support bubbles) of less than 6 people, or by organised groups who have carried out a risk assessment and are complying with the most up-to-date guidance on team sport and physical activity. Please refer to the latest guidance on sport and recreation.
- Please keep dogs under control at all times, to allow social distancing to be maintained.
- Allotments can be tended, but only by single household groups (or support bubbles) of up to 6 people. Please follow any additional restrictions put in place by your Allotment Association. The National Allotment Society has further helpful guidance.
Thank you so much to everyone who has helped and supported us in our fight against this virus: we really appreciate your patience and understanding with the restrictions in place.
The updated guidance is available online regarding the national situation and the local guidance. The Newcastle City Council website also contains further guidance on what is no longer permissible. The local guidance advises that you should not socialise with people you do not live with in any public venue, unless they are in your support bubble.
If you believe someone is breaking social distancing rules you can report this to the police using their online form.
In the meantime, we do hope that you remain safe and well, and we will provide updates should the situation change.