In light of the lockdown measures which come into effect from 5th November, we have updated our official guidance on visiting Newcastle’s parks and allotments.
Our wonderful parks and allotments have provided a place of respite and relaxation throughout this year, and they will continue to do so, throughout lockdown. Thank you so much for your patience and consideration in following the rules, as we work together to fight this pandemic and keep everyone safe.
Urban Green staff and volunteers have been working hard to ensure our green spaces remain open and safe to use. However, it is more important than ever that we use them in a way which will keep ourselves and others safe. Please maintain social distancing, wash hands regularly, and follow the most up-to-date guidance from government.
Visiting Newcastle’s parks:
- Sadly, Pets Corner has once again had to shut its doors to visitors. Our furry and feathered friends will remain being loved and cared for by the keepers, but will miss their visits from you all.
- Our multiuse play areas, skateparks, tennis courts and basketball courts will be closed to the public from 5th November until government guidance changes.
- All playgrounds across the city’s parks can remain open for children and families to enjoy.
- Early this year we removed equipment in some playgrounds – mainly swings – to allow park users to carry out social distancing. Please be aware that equipment is not being sanitised and visitors are asked to follow the signs on safe usage at each site. If you are a parent or carer, please talk to your children to make sure they understand the measures in place.
- Please continue to keep dogs under control at all times, to allow social distancing to be maintained.
- Public toilets at Jesmond Dene Visitor Centre are open for members of the public to use Monday-Friday between 11:00-15:00, on a strict one in, one out basis. The limited opening is to ensure facilities are kept clean and safe for visitors.
- Some of our wonderful volunteers will be able to continue to support us, as long as it can be carried out safely and in accordance with the latest government guidance.
- Our car parks remain open for people that need to drive to access green spaces.
- You can read government’s updated guidance on visiting public spaces here.
Visiting Newcastle’s allotments:
- Allotment holders can continue to tend to their sites subject to any specific guidance from individual Allotment Associations. We ask that all plot holders continue to respect social distancing guidelines.
- Further helpful guidance can be found on The National Allotment Society website nsalg.org.uk
- Do also remember to carry out regular hand washing or sanitising, especially after touching shared surfaces.